Thursday, May 28, 2009

Positive Vibration


One can not discuss the genre of reggae music without mentioning the infamous name, Bob Marley.  As a man who “had so much things to say,” Marley spoke of life, love, and eternal struggles to the people of the world though his ingenious musical creations.  Simple songs such as “Three Little Birds” with the simple laid-back melody and lyrics, I am able to ease my mind and be reminded that that life doesn’t need to always be taken so seriously, because by the end of the day, it’s going to be all right. 

 

“Dont worry about a thing,

cause every little thing gonna be all right.

Rise up this mornin,

Smiled with the risin sun,

Three little birds

Pitch by my doorstep

Singin sweet songs

Of melodies pure and true,

Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou:)

 

On a more serious note, as I listen to the words, “Open your eyes and look within, are you satisfied with the life you living," I do in fact sit back and reflect upon my life.  From these words of Wisdom, I always make sure that my “soul is satisfied” and I’m living a happy life.  If I come to a point in my life where I am discontent with any situation, these words remind me to do something about it.  Fortunately, since I was raised in a homey northern suburb of Chicago, I never had to face very difficult situations, intense living conditions or question my surroundings.  Mr. Marley however, was forced to examine and reflect upon the harsh realities of the Jamaican lifestyle, which he constantly applied when writing his songs.

 

Born in the small village of Nine Mile in St. Ann Parish, Jamica on February 6, 1945 Robert Nesta Marley (known as Bob Matley) was thrown into a world of poverty, corruption, governments of tension, poor housing, and no education.  In attempt to escape these conditions, Marley’s mother Cedella, decided to move with her 14 year old son to Trench Town in Kingston.  Sadly, Trench Town proved to be no place of economic growth for the Marley family and provided no luxury or social grace for the ordinary Jamaican citizens.  Living under oppressive socio-economic conditions, Marley became inspired to place themes such as inequality, poverty, oppression, and the need for peace and human rights into his musical creations.

 

In the year of 1963 the vocal quintet titled “The Wailing Wailers” composed of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Bunny Livingstone, Junior Braithwaite, and Beverly Kelso was formed.  After being discovered by record producer Coxsone Dodd in 1964, they changed their name to “The Wailers” and recorded one of the biggest Jamaican hits of the year, “Simmer Down” as the impoverished youth of Jamaica was easily able to relate their pain and frustration with the lyrics. 

 

Simmer down, oh control your temper

Simmer down, for the battle will be hotter

Simmer down, and you won't get no supper

Simmer down, and you know you bound to suffer

Simmer down, simmer, simmer, simmer right down

 

Braithwaite and Kelso left the group around 1965, but the Wailers kept on playing as Marley, Tosh, and Lingstone continued to develop the reputation of rebels as they spoke out for the poor inner city dwellers.  This was the beginning of Bob’s social injustice outcry through his music.

 

Up until 1974, before the three main members decided to pursue solo careers, The Wailers produced many songs that reflected social commentary and political protest such as, “Get Up, Stand Up,” and “I Shot the Sheriff”,

 

Some of the Lyrics to “Get Up, Stand Up


Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!

Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!

Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!

Get up, stand up: dont give up the fight!

 

Preacherman, dont tell me,

Heaven is under the earth.

I know you dont know

What life is really worth.

Its not all that glitters is gold;

alf the story has never been told:

So now you see the light, eh!

Stand up for your rights. come on!

 

Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!

Get up, stand up: dont give up the fight!

Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!

Get up, stand up: dont give up the fight!

 

Most people think,

Great God will come from the skies,

Take away everything

And make everybody feel high.

But if you know what life is worth,

You will look for yours on earth:

And now you see the light,

You stand up for your rights. jah!

 

 

Some of the lyrics to “I Shot the Sheriff

 

Sheriff John Brown always hated me,

For what, I dont know:

Every time I plant a seed,

He said kill it before it grow -

He said kill them before they grow.

And so:

 

Read it in the news:

(I shot the sheriff.) oh, lord!

(but I swear it was in self-defence.)

Where was the deputy? (oo-oo-oh)

I say: I shot the sheriff,

But I swear it was in self defence. (oo-oh) yeah!

 

Freedom came my way one day

And I started out of town, yeah!

All of a sudden I saw sheriff john brown

Aiming to shoot me down,

So I shot - I shot - I shot him down and I say:

If I am guilty I will pay.

 

Songs such as these questioned the unjust societies that many people of the time were living in and informed them that “every man has a right to decide his own destiny.” However one must not live with their eyes closed, but instead take a control of their fate and stand up for their rights.

 

Despite the break up, Marley continued to record under the title of “Bob Marley & The Wailers.” His new backing band included brothers Carlton and Ashton “Family Man” Barrett on drums and bass respectively, Junior Marvin and Al Anderson on lead guitar, Tyrone Downie and Earl “Way” Lindo on keyboards, and Alvin “Secco” Pederson on percussion. The “I Threes” consisting of Judy Mowatt, Marcia Griffiths, and Marley's wife, Rita, provided backing vocals.

 

As “Bob Marley & The Wailers”, Bob continued to spread his beliefs of inequalities and the need for peace and human rights.  Bob’s upbringing and life revolving around the political structure of Jamaica dramatically influenced his writings, which in turn affected the Jamaican politics of the day. Other songs based on these ideas are:

 

War

Exodus

Redemption Song

One Love

Them Belly Full

So Much Trouble In The World

 

The video below contains musicians around the world adding their part to one of Marley’s most powerful songs, “War/No More Trouble” as it travels around the globe.  We don’t need more trouble, what we need is love.  As he foresaw, the spirit of Bob Marley continues to live on. 

 

"My music will go on forever. Maybe it's a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts. My music will go on forever."

 

-Bob Marley


Information was based on following sites:

Rastaman Vibration

Official Site

Rolling Stone

Bob Playing Guitar

3 comments:

  1. "Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!

    Get up, stand up: dont give up the fight!"

    These lyrics are really critical to the whole vibe of the political and social struggles faced by coloured people in the 1970's. The 70's had many landmarks to the fight against racism, the first black Miss Universe, the First Black cover model on Vogue etc etc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob Marley is some of the most chill music ever and Red, Red Wine is played constantly at my school back home.

    ReplyDelete